Small Powerboat and RIB Master Course

Our Small Powerboat & RIB Master course prepares the students with the basic skills and knowledge to safely operate a powerboat / rigid inflatable boat (RIB) up to 15m in length within sight of land. Upon successful completion of the course, candidates will receive a commercial certificate of competency issued by International Yacht Training, which is globally recognized.

The course is divided into an online theory self study module, followed by practical training and evaluation. Students first study and obtain all the theoretical knowledge to obtain the Small Powerboat & RIB Master Certificate absolutely free online. Once completed, students then apply for the “theory completion certificate” from IYT (a small fee is charged). Marine Safety can assist with this. This certificate must be presented to us when you join us for your practical instruction and final practical examination at our facility in Knysna. After successful completion of the practical examination, you will be awarded the Small Powerboat & RIB Master Certificate of Competency which is recognized by the MCA.

Course Outline

This three day course covers two days of theory and one day of practical boat handling including:

  • Safety at sea
  • VHF Radio operations
  • Small powerboats and rigid inflatable boats
  • Launching and recovery
  • Anchors and anchoring
  • Nautical terminology
  • Boat handling under power
  • Man overboard procedures
  • Ropes and rope-work0
  • Basic rules of the road (collision regulations)
  • Glossary of terms


  • Covers vessels up to 15m
  • Operation in coastal regions – in sight of land
  • Driven by outboard or inboard motors
  • In fair weather
  • No horsepower limitations

How do I get my Small Powerboat & Rib Master certificate commercially endorsed?

The IYT “Master of Yachts” and the IYT “Small Powerboat & RIB Master” certificates do not require a “commercial endorsement” because they are commercial certificates. The MCA has recognised three levels of IYT Master of Yachts Certificates and the Small Powerboat and RIB Master Certificate as being “Commercial” in their own right. They are:

  • Master of Yachts Coastal/Mate 200 gross tons and Master for vessels < 24 m
  • Master of Yachts Limited <200 gross tons
  • Master of Yachts Unlimited <200 gross tons
  • Small Powerboat and RIB Master

The “Yachtmaster” certificates issued by the Royal Yachting Association (RYA) are recreational certificates and these certificates do require a “commercial endorsement” if one wishes to work commercially.